Light Fruit Cake
This light fruit cake is one of the favorite cakes, crunchy and fruity.
- 1 cup butter (226 gm)
- 1 1/2 cup (240 gm) candied mixed peel
- 1 cup 200 gram- candied red or green cherries, cut into small pieces
- 1/6 cup raisin
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups (400 gm) flour
- 2 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (100 gm) ground almond
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 4 tbsp rum/brandy
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest of 2 lemon
- Soak the candied mixed peel, candied red and green cherries, raisins stir in brandy or rum, cover with cling wrap, and let sit at room temperature for a two or three days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C). Greased and lightly floured lined parchment paper in two 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground almond, baking powder, lemon zest and salt, set aside.
- Beat butter in bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed for two minutes. Add the 1 cup white sugar and beat until well combined.
- Add the egg one at a time, beating well after each addiction.
- Combine milk and flour mixture alternately to the butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- Stir in the candied mixed peel, candied cherry mixture, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 1 hour, on the middle rack of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let it cool completely for 30 minutes.
- Slice with a serrated knife, serve immediately or cover with foil, store for a week or wrap with the cake tightly and place it refrigerator.